Magento is an open source ecommerce software whose popularity has increased since 2009. The idea behind the program was to offer an easy online solution that is suitable for all types of businesses. Let us now understand why is magento open source and why that is good for business.
What is Open Source?
Open source means the code used to create the program is not restricted. In other words the source code or the blueprint for the program isn’t tied to any one company or developer. Hence anyone with the expertise can work on the source code from any part of the world. This is great because it finally leads to new innovations in the program itself.
Why is Magento Open Source?
- Because it allows developers to modify the base code.
- Because you can create themes and extensions.
- Also the online Mage Community has the brightest, motivated and innovative developers who all work freely together to come up with creative solutions.
- All new codes written are clean with minimum bugs as the Mage Community checks them thoroughly.
How does this help with your Online Business?
- First of all it lowers the cost of the program as the company doesn’t need to have dedicated developers on staff.
- Consequently Magento has a completely free Community version.
- As Magento is open source you can expand on the basic features according to your needs and imagination.
- Hiring a Magento Specialist isn’t difficult as most developers are members of the Magento Forums and hence have plenty of hands on experience.
- You can create your own theme which helps in developing your online brand.
- You can connect easily with 3rd party programs like Quickbooks or ShipStation.
Hence Magento being Open Source is a good thing. If you need help in customizing your store, Contact Web 2 Market.